Angela Longo, Principal
m: 0408 303 375
Angela has over 20 years experience in the financial services industry including roles in both private and public sector.
Her private sector experience was gained during a five year period with National Mutual, focussing on superannuation and insurance products. Prior to joining Greenfields, Angela spent six years at the Australian Securities & Investments Commission during which she was involved in developing financial services policy and law reform, considering relief applications, and assisting with surveillances and consumer protection initiatives.
Before that, Angela was a senior lawyer with the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal and was involved in complex complaints and the preparation of matters for review.
Since joining Greenfields in 2004, Angela has undertaken a broad range of financial services work including:
- reviewing regulated disclosure documents (product disclosure statements, periodic reporting and significant event reporting)
- assisting with the introduction of direct investments (eg shares, term deposits) into a superannuation fund’s accessible investments
- superannuation reforms implementation including MySuper implementation, advising in relation to MySuper transition issues, and assisting with dashboard and other website based disclosure requirements
- FOFA reforms implementation including advising on conflicted remuneration and best interests obligations
- assisting with the development of compliance frameworks for financial planning activities including scaled advice
- breach reporting and rectification arrangements including liaising with the regulators
- reviewing outsourcing agreements
- reviewing FSGs and SOA templates
- reviewing website calculators (eg retirement calculators)
- reviewing AML/CTF programs and policies.
Angela has also been involved in preparing submissions to government on reform proposals while in the public and private sector including in her previous capacity as a member of an ASFA policy committee.
Daniel Levy, Principal
m: 0422 148 288
Daniel Levy has 26 years’ experience in the financial services industry including National Mutual/AXA, Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons) and Blake Dawson Waldron (now Ashurst). He established Greenfields in 2004.
Daniel regularly advises trustees, responsible entities and service providers in relation to all aspects of superannuation, funds management and other financial services including:
- fund wind-ups and mergers
- direct investments, including private equity
- negotiating outsourcing arrangements (eg custody, administration, etc.)
- regulatory compliance
- financial product advice
- prudential requirements
- conflicted remuneration
- fiduciary obligations
- corporate governance
- proper delegation of authority
- trustee liability and indemnity, and
- risk management.
He has also conducted commercial litigation in connection with matters ranging from TPD claims to superannuation surplus asset distributions, including the well-known Brashs case and Invensys.
Daniel has presented a large number of papers over the years for organisations such as the Law Council of Australia (at the Superannuation Lawyers Conference), ASFA, the Securities Institute, the Leo Cussens Institute and Monash University as well as a number of commercial conference organisers.
Andrej Kocis, Special Counsel
m: 0413 609 001
Prior to joining Greenfields, Andrej gained experience working in-house (with a major corporate fund), with ASIC (as a Senior Specialist) and with major law firms (including Freehills and Mallesons). His experience includes advising on:
- litigation and dispute resolution – for example on disability benefit claims, SCT complaints, deed rectifications and surplus distributions (including at all levels in the Federal and State Courts)
- enforcement and administrative action by APRA and ASIC – for example on enforceable undertakings, director disqualifications and compulsory witness examinations (including in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal)
- strategic fund matters – for example major fund restructures, significant deed amendments and successor fund transfers
- general fund matters – for example on outsourcing arrangements (including with administration and gateway providers), on disclosure documentation (including PDSs and FSGs), on policies (including conflicts, risk, director appointment and privacy policies) and on other general legal matters.
Andrej has also been involved in preparing submissions to government on reform proposals (including, in recent times, on shorter product disclosure, Stronger Super and FOFA).
He has lectured at Monash University and is a regular speaker and author for industry events and publications.
Marita Wall, Consultant
m: 0432 858 040
Marita has over 25 years’ experience as a financial services lawyer in senior positions, including:
- Ombudsman with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), where she determined disputes about superannuation, life insurance and investments (including complaints about financial advice);
- 14 years with the SCT, having been appointed as Acting Chairperson, Acting Deputy Chairperson and inaugural Member;
- a Barrister specializing in superannuation/financial services. She appeared before the High Court in several cases, including the seminal TPD case of Finch v Telstra Super;
- a consultant with King & Wood Mallesons; and
- a corporate lawyer with a life insurance company.
Marita has a Master of Laws degree, specializing in superannuation and is the Convenor of the Superannuation Lawyers Discussion Group. She is a regular speaker at conferences, including the Australian Life Insurance Law annual conference (AILA/ANZIF). She has also been consulted on the draft Code of Conduct for Life Insurers.